Learn the Pros and Cons of Homeschooling
As with any educational option, there are also pros and cons of homeschooling. Here are some points to consider when thinking about whether or not you should homeschool.
- Tutor time - as homeschool parents, you have the opportunity to tutor your children one on one if needed. If your child could have a personal tutor in public school you would say that he would have a huge advantage and be able to learn what he needed to learn.
- Reinforce good values - Since homeschooling allows you to spend more time with your children, you are able to provide a good influence for them rather than a peer influence. Besideshomeschool sibling rivalry, the student will be interacting with a mature person who will treat them fairly and teach them good wholesome values.
- Choose your own materials - With homeschooling you can tailorhomeschool curriculums to meet the needs of your child. You can pick and choose different homeschool learning styles or methods of instruction that work best for your child.
- Homeschooling takes time. You will need to spend some time planning what to do for the year, along with what your children need to complete each week.
- Homeschooling costs - With public school, you basically have to pay for your child's fees, but with homeschooling you have to pay for and provide all the materials that your child will need. One parent may also need to sacrifice a full time job to be able to stay and home and teach the children.
- Your children can sometimes get on your nerves. They may not do what you ask them to do or they may argue and fight with their siblings more because they are together more.
Pros and cons of homeschooling and parenting...
Looking at the pros and cons of homeschooling can be related to the pros and cons of becoming a parent. When you took on the job of parenting you knew there would be a cost. There would be sleepless nights, potty training, feeding issues, sibling rivalry, and many others, yet you still chose to be a parent. Most days the joys of parenting outweigh the stresses. The same happens with homeschooling. You know there is a cost and a few disadvantages, but in the interest of finding what is best for your child, you find that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
I hope this list of pros and cons of homeschooling has helped you think through what is best for your child and what decision you need to make in the end.