Homeschool Preschool can be so much fun to teach. Children are interested in what is going on around them and actually want to spend time with you and learn from you.
Many parents think that they can’t teach their children anything beyond how to walk, talk, eat and use the potty. A homeschool preschool program is just basically a continuation of good parenting. Here are a few tips you can use for ideas of what you can do with your child to help them learn:
1. Let them work with you on what you do during the day. Working in the kitchen, sorting laundry, picking up around the house and more, can all help your child learn valuable skills along with developing gross and fine motor skills.
2. Play games with your child. When you do puzzles and play games like Chutes and Ladders, Jenga, Guess Who, Candyland, Othello and many others your child is learning many things. By playing games and doing puzzles your child is learning how to count, reason, strategize, learn colors, and so much more. Never underestimate the learning power of puzzles and games!
3. Read to your child at least 30 minutes per day. Again, you wouldn’t think that reading to your child could help them learn all that much, but think about how you learn. Much of what we learn comes from reading and listening to stories. Reading teaches your children about math, science, history, relationships and the world around him. A trip to the library will give you a great start on your reading journey with your child. Check out the favorites link at the bottom of this page for ideas of some of our favorite picture books.
4. Answer your child’s questions. Talk to them and, most importantly, listen to what they have to say and what they are curious about. If they don’t ask many questions, then you can help develop a sense of wonder by observing things around you and wondering out loud. You can say things like, “I wonder some trees grow taller than others.” or “Look at that beautiful flower. I wonder how many petals it has.”
5. Limit TV viewing. Television is a passive activity. They can learn some things from educational shows, but most of their learning should be active and interacting with people or things.
If you want a guide for preschool, the best resource is 101 Ways to Make Preschool Fun and 101 MORE Ways to Make Preschool Fun. Both can be downloaded at preschool ideas.
Helping young children learn can be fun! Let yours and your child’s personality guide what you do together and what they learn. Just extend your good parenting skills into teaching your child the skills he needs and you will both enjoy the time you get to spend together.
When you are ready to move beyond preschool you can get more ideas on home schooling How to Homeschool Kindergarten.
More preschool resources:
Favorite homeschool resources - Here is my list of our favorite homeschool resources we have used over the years.
ABC Mouse - Online preschool program