Reasons NOT to Homeschool
Some people like to know the reasons not to homeschool, so here are some that I came up with. Some are funny and some are sad, but they all make you think about why someone would want to or not want to homeschool.
Top Reasons NOT to homeschool
- You don't like spending lots of time with your children. You would rather they spend time with someone else for most of the day.
- You think that your children need socialization with other children rather than time with you.
- You need a clean and peaceful house all the time.
- You want to watch TV or do your "thing" all day and not be bothered with having to teach or interact with children.
- You are a perfectionist and you can't stand when others are not perfect.
- You don't want to have to deal with the questions from others about why you homeschool or face those people that are hostile to homeschooling and think you are a weirdo.
- You don't think you have the patience to homeschool.
- You don't want to take the time it takes for homeschooling.
- You have plenty of money to send your children to a private school and feel that they get a better education there.
- You don't think you can afford to homeschool your children. There are plenty of ways to save money homeschooling. Some even say you can homeschool for free, but you will need to trade some of your time for money.
- You think your children need to be taught by someone that is certified and experienced in teaching children.
- You have to work full-time outside the home in order for your family to survive and you have no one else that can help you watch your children at home.
- You hate to read or can't read.
- Your neighbor, friend, pastor, parent, etc.... tells you that you should homeschool. Let's face it, if you're homeschooling because someone else is telling you to and you don't feel convicted or driven to pursue it, you and your children will be frustrated and bitter.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, where there is a will there is a way. Most people have prayed about what they should do about their children's education. Many times through prayer, parents have felt called to homeschool. They believe that this is what God wants them to do with their children.
Others just hate their school system or what it has done to their children and feel that they have to take over or their children will suffer in the end.
If you are thinking about homeschooling and don't know what to do, I encourage you to take some time to pray about this major decision. If God wants you to homeschool your children, He will let you know if you ask Him. If He doesn't think you should homeschool, then He will tell you that too. He knows you and your children better than you do and knows if it is the best thing for all of you.
Be prepared for a character building experience if you decide to homeschool. Most homeschool parents will tell you that they are surprised at how much they learn about themselves and their children once they start homeschooling. With God's help you can do anything that He calls you to do. Make sure you have a good support network of people that can encourage you when you have a challenging day so you don't resort back to these reasons not to homeschool.
Return from Reasons Not to Homeschool to Homeschool How To home page